Monday, April 4, 2011

Towpath Half Marathon

This past Sunday I ran my first half marathon of 2011.  It was the Towpath Half Marathon in Cleveland Ohio.  It also was the first leg of the new Towpath Trilogy.  A three part race series on different sections of the towpath.  Both the trilogy and this event are new for 2011.  Some area runners may be more familiar with their fall race, the Towpath Marathon.

Overall this was a very well run event.  Plenty of water stops, great signage, plenty of parking close by, a free beer, good food at the finish, and a pretty cool looking medal.  I also really liked the shirts for the event.  The men received a forest green dri-fit shirt and the ladies got the same shirt in a nuclear neon.  I am pretty sure you can be tracked from space in those things.  They are that bright.



I do have one complaint about the event....the course was 13.5 miles instead of 13.1!  To some this may not be a big deal, but with today's technology.  There is no reason to be this far off and there was plenty of areas on the course that could have been shortened.  Other than that, I really don't have any complaints. 


I ran a decent time at 1:57 for the half and for the 13.5 I was at 2:01.  I don't believe I PR'd, but it was good practice and I learned a few things as I hit the 40 days till the Cleveland Marathon.  I also learned that I must not look like I am having fun while running as an elder runner made a point to tell me this is for fun at mile 12.  


Also, big congrats go to Ryan McCartney (CLEcraftbeerun) and Jessica Bagwell (@mojamala2).  They were rockstars and had outstanding races.  

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Thanks for the shoutout, Matt! Great work yesterday!

Matty O said...

Haha, I agree man, no excuses for messing up the race distances!

Great job! I typically look pretty serious if I am going for a PR. Otherwords I do my best to soak the day in.

Love the race bling too, unique :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the race

Anonymous said...

Hey where did you find pictures? Or are you just that famous? Spring Classic is this weekend!

Unknown said...

Great job - and that medal is awesome! :)

MissFit Island said...

Great Job!