Sunday, April 24, 2011

What makes a marathoner?

I've spent the past couple days brainstorming on what I should talk about next.  First, I would like to thank everybody for their support and the kind words that I received since my first post as a Cleveland Marathon blogger.  I never imagined how well the post would have been received and I am truly grateful for this opportunity.  A special thank you also goes to all those who have recommended my blog to others.  I truly appreciated it.

This was big weekend for a lot of us.  Not only is it a holiday weekend, but it is our last major run of training.  Many of us will be pounding out a 20+ miler this weekend.  I got my long run in on Saturday morning. We were fortunate here as the rain cleared out at dawn.  I spent the bulk of the run contemplating what it takes to be a marathoner.  I don't consider myself a runner and sometimes I even wonder If it was a mistake to attempt this distance.  Those of you who know me.  Are well familiar with my I'm just a cyclist impersonating a runner line.  Now, most do think I am crazy for not considering myself a runner.  But I personally I've never felt like one.  So to help myself prepare mentally for what will be the longest distance I've ever ran in my life.  I decided to come up with 26 words that I think describes a marathoner and I would like to share them with you.  I plan on using these words as motivation during training and on race day.

STRENGTH
ENDURANCE
DETERMINATION
SPEED
RISKS
LIMITS
POWER
PREPARATION
PRIDE
PERSEVERANCE
COURAGE
PERSISTENCE
DEDICATION
ATTITUDE
GROWTH
STRONG MINDED
UNBEATABLE
BALANCED
EMPOWERED
FOCUSED
PREPARED
HONOR
SATISFACTION
CONFIDENCE
INSPIRED
FUN

The last word is what I should focus on the most.  As I often loose sight of the fact that running should be fun.  I've been reminded this on several occasions by some running friends and even by runners I don't even know.  As you can see in the photo below.  Not much excitement there.  Definitely need to work on that over the next 3 weeks as well as focus on the other twenty five.  As I feel this is what it will take to be a marathoner.

4 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Great post, and on May 15th, you will be a marathoner

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! Do you think we can get someone to stand at each mile marker with one of these words. THat would be awesome!

Matty O said...

your race day is what you make of it. Grueling? Painful? Boring? Stupid?

I make all my races an adventure. I pump up the crowds to cheer me on as I am making my way along the course.

It takes my mind off of the pain and the hurt that I am experiencing at that moment, and it engages the crowd to feel like they were a part of your success.

Now, I am not normal by any means haha, so this obviously doesn't work for most people.

But go into it with a positive mind and take in the whole experience.

Keep this in mind whenever you feel like you can't finish a workout or you are about ready to bonk. In 30 minutes, or an hour, you will be done. You will be drinking beer, eating a steak, whatever it is you will be doing and all of this pain and hurt and mental defeat is only a mere temporary hurdle. Works for me every time :)

Unknown said...

How about... FEARLESS! =)