Monday, February 21, 2011

Chili Bowl 5K

This past Saturday was the first road race of 2011.  It was put on by Hermes Cleveland and Tower 230 Bar.  It was a very well run event  and a big a thank you goes to the all the volunteers who braved the conditions for us runners.   The good news is that I 5K PR'd by 1 minute 21 seconds, but I had hoped to run a little faster.

If you missed it on Twitter Saturday.  A big congratulations go to @Shellsruns as she gave me good butt kicking in our bet with a run of 22:04, which was 2:44 ahead of me.  I wish I could have made things closer, but I was not match for such an outstanding runner.

My goal for the races this year prior to the Cleveland Marathon is to gain as much experience and practice as I can.  I want to run my marathon pace, get used to running in large packs, and work on hydration.  I feel like I succeeded at all these on Saturday.  I also learned what I need to work on to improve as a runner, including longer intervals on speedwork and the need to continue loosing weight.

Distance:  5K
Time:  24:48:56
Finish in age group:  32/67
Overall finish:  287/952
Average pace:  8:00

Next race is the Shamrock 15K on March 6th.


mojamala2 said...

Congrats on the PR! I'll be at the Shamrock 15K this Sunday. I'll probably be wearing lime green again.

mojamala2 said...

Or I'll be there next Sunday. I am off by about a week. I don't think anyone will be there this week.

Caratunk Girl said...

Congrats on teh PR! That is awesome. Did this come up twice? I guess I am really really excited about your PR.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Nice race, one of my good friends was at that race, he was telling me how much the wind sucked